The student news site of Bowling Green High School

The Daily Bobcat

Athletes of the Month: Fall Season Highlights

Kelly Hayden

As the Winter sports season begins, The Daily Bobcat would like to showcase a few accomplishments from the 2016 Fall Season. Below are highlights for each of the teams.

Girls Cross Country finished 4th in the NLL Championship Meet and sent Jenna Schonter to States. While representing Bowling Green High School in Columbus, Jenna placed 80th out of approximately 175 runners. Jenna also made the All NLL First Team. Other noteworthy athletes include Natalie Applegate, who made the Second all NLL team.

Boys Cross Country finished 3rd in the NLL Championship Meet and sent Zach Applegate to States where he placed 13th. The honored athletes were Zach Applegate, Grant Stierwalt, and Micah McKanna, who made the First Team; and Michael McNamara on the Third Team.

Football made it to the first round of state playoffs. After achieving a record of 5-2 in regular season and 7-3 in postseason, the team qualified to host and play in the first round of state playoffs. Darius Calhoun (Running Back), Conner Ashman (Center), Jeremy Christoff (Interior Lineman), and Alec Brown (Secondary) were awarded with First Team. Honored with Second Team were Dylan Dohanos (Quarterback), Keller Mathis (Place Kicker), Darius Calhoun (Defensive End), Brett Griffin (Inside Linebacker), and Noah Cotterman (Outside Linebacker). Jayden Barton (Guard) was honored with Third Team

Girls Golf finished 2nd in the NLL and saw Macy Hanus as Golfer of the Year. In the NLL championship, the team scored 21 and 33 in the overall season, and 8-2 in the regular season. Macy Hanus became Player of the Year in the NLL  became part of the First Team. On the Second team were Andrea Cromley and Hannah Halleck with Alli Fahy and Kelsey Remis making the Third Team.

Boys Golf won the NLL Championship and finished 2nd in the NLL. Earning a 6-1 record in regular season, and 24 points in the NLL Championship. It lead the team to become First place in the NLL with 36 total points. Jack Hanus and Brett Rich received the honor of First Team. Earning Second Team was Alex Messenger, and Isaac Elsasser and Preston Morman on Third Team.

Girls Soccer finished 7th in the NLL. Finishing 1-6-0 in regular season and an overall record of 4-11-0, The team placed 7th overall in the NLL. Noteworthy Athletes include Tateum Venn making Second team and Briana Lowe with Third Team.

Boys Soccer finished 7th in the NLL. Ending the regular season with a 1-6-0 record, the team placed 7th in the NLL. Gabe Sayer earned NLL Second Team and Ryland Black on Third Team. Receiving the Honor Of NWOSSCA All-District First Team was Keller Mathis and Earning Honorable mention was Shaden Elwazani (also Outstanding Senior Academic), Gabe Sayer, and Ryland Black.

Tennis finished 6th in regular and postseason. The team finished regular season with a 2-5 record, and earned 9 points in tournament and 13 total. Recognized on the NLL Second team was Julia Mass and on Third Team was Cailyn Overhulse.

Volleyball earned the NLLs Coach and Player of the year. This Season Coach Mandy Pasley was Awarded with District 7 Division 2 Coach of the Year. Receiving NLL First Team was Mackenzie Dunn and Maddy Dunn (Player of the Year in the NLL- Offensive). Earning Second Team were Kendal Glandorf and Lexi Kisor with Gracyn Amos getting Third Team. Awarded District 7 Division 2 First team is  Mackenzie Dunn (Player of the Year D2), Maddy Dunn, and Kendal Glandorff. Gaining Second team was Lexi Kisor and making Honorable Mention were Gracyn Amos and Kaila Miller.

Overall the Bobcats had a great season; their hard work was truly shown in all of their of achievements.