The student news site of Bowling Green High School

The Daily Bobcat

Mental Health vs. Honor Roll

Isabella Eschedor, The Daily Bobcat Staff Writer

Ever since the first day I walked through the doors of Bowling Green High School I’ve pushed myself to excel in every aspect of my schooling: good grades, honor classes, NLLs, clubs, president of clubs, and the list goes on and on. Throughout my high school career I have stretched myself thin to ensure that I was an excellent choice for any college. I may not be the smartest in my class, the most athletic, nor the class president, but I’m not going to lie- I have a pretty good resume.

Now a semester into my senior year, I am starting to realize that maybe all of my hard work  wasn’t worth it.  Students need to push themselves in school but there needs to be a limit to the madness. When I signed up for my senior classes last year I didn’t bat an eye at my list of classes- 2 AP courses, 2 Honors courses, 1 BGSU language course, and 3 electives. I had worked all my high school career for this. ‘Colleges are going to love me,’ I said to myself. But now I wonder if they will still love me without an ounce of sanity.

Sure, I can tell you how to find a derivative, about blood motifs in Macbeth, and the difference between the French passé composé and the l’imparfait, but then I would have to tell you about how I can’t remember the last time I got more than 8 hours of sleep, or how many times I’ve cried over a textbook because of stress. I’ve had to learn the hard way that sometimes you can’t do everything and that is okay. I’ll say it again – it’s okay! I wish it wouldn’t have taken me this long to realize that my mental health is more important than any grade or college acceptance letter. I had an epiphany during a mental breakdown at 2 a.m. while studying for a French exam, and after that night I have been able to breathe. I realized that somethings just aren’t worth it and, although contrary to popular beliefs, I’ll live if I don’t get perfect grades. I haven’t felt like I’m drowning in homework or overly exhausted in a few weeks and it’s an amazing feeling. I’m enjoying my senior year for once and not cursing myself for jam-packing my schedule.

For all my fellow seniors, procrastinators, and sleep-deprived AP students: we are all in this together and we can make it. Senioritis may be hitting most of us like a freight train but we need to keep chugging. I hope to see all of you at graduation with your mental health intact, because I know mine will be. Next time you’re stressed and think there aren’t enough hours in the day, remember you will be okay. Whether you get all A’s or not, you can still go to college and survive. I promise.

For all the underclassmen, this article is not meant to give you a reason to slack off your senior year. It is meant to warn you and help you. Don’t bite off more than you can chew; don’t overload yourself with classes. One more AP class isn’t worth improving your resume if you’re going to lose your sanity. Choose your classes carefully because it will make or break your senior year- it could even break you.

1 Comment

One Response to “Mental Health vs. Honor Roll”

1. Nina W on February 28th, 2016 11:10 am

Great Article!! I’m looking forward to my senior year with a healthy, happy mental state! I kind of experience the whole mental break down about my grades my junior year of high school. I am a full IB student and it’s tuff but I will survive!!! This article was very help full!!!

Thank You,
    Nina!!! 🙂

[Reply]

If you want a picture to show with your comment, go get a gravatar.

Mental Health vs. Honor Roll