The student news site of Bowling Green High School

The Daily Bobcat

Mockingjay Worth Seeing

Jennifer Lawrence as Katniss Everdeen. (Murray Close/Lionsgate)

Skye Sloane, The Daily Bobcat Staff Writer

For many, the end of a book or movie series can be bittersweet: it prompts reflection on the previous works in said series, but it also can evoke sadness or leave one with an empty feeling, especially if the ending is lacking.

Mockingjay Part 2, the fourth and final film in the Hunger Games series, is hardly a disappointment.

While the first part of the last book’s adaptation lagged in some places, prompting many to believe the division of the movie was simply a cash grab on the part of the movie’s studio, Lionsgate, this film is action-packed and immersive. It makes up for its length with detail and really gives Jennifer Lawrence, who plays the hero, Katniss, a chance to show her Oscar-winning acting prowess.

On the topic of Lawrence, her growth as an actor throughout the course of four films is very evident in this movie. Much like Katniss in the book series, Lawrence seems to have found her confidence and comfort zone since she started the project, which makes her an even more powerful force in the film.

That isn’t to say she’s the only one who shines, however. Donald Sutherland and Julianne Moore both play opposing leaders who are menacing and shady in their own right. Woody Harrelson and Elizabeth Banks both serve as comic, light-hearted relief from an otherwise extremely dark story.

Donald Sutherland as President Snow (Murray Close/Lionsgate)

As for the two male leads, Josh Hutcherson and Liam Hemsworth, it’s also obvious that they’ve grown as actors as well over the course of the four films, but their parts really aren’t large enough (or written well enough) to make them appear anything more than second-tier in comparison to Lawrence.

Casting aside, the filmmakers do a good job of conveying the book’s themes under a mish-mash of action sequences, jump-scares, and tender emotional moments. They emphasize a lot the hard topics that Suzanne Collins originally posed in the book series, including the ways in which power negatively affects people, the difficult inner workings of revolutions, and the terribly violent effects of war. So, even if one was to point out minute differences between the book and the movie, it is this emphasis of themes that should make the adaptation stand out as faithful to its original.

In my own opinion, this movie is, for the most part, an apt finale to the series. The series was in no way marked by cinematic brilliance, but Francis Lawrence, the director, finishes on a high note with this film, which is not completely wrought with nauseating camera shots or cheesy CGI like those prior to it. It’s definitely worth seeing, especially if you’re a fan of the books. While it, like every book-to-movie adaptation ever made, is not as satisfying as its literary counterpart, it certainly does Collins’ work justice, leaving fans likely not feeling so empty after all.