The student news site of Bowling Green High School

The Daily Bobcat

Athletics vs. The Arts

Mia Schempf and Rona Mejiritski walk the halls as a send off for the state swimming and diving competition Feb. 23, 2016.

Isabella Escador

Isabella Escador

Jessica Beckford, The Daily Bobcat Staff Writer

How many times have you had to step out to the hallway to congratulate the most recent athlete moving to a district or state competition? Have you ever had to step out in the hallway to congratulate the band for winning a score of 1 on their recent competition? Or for the drama club for receiving an invitational to an international or state conference?

I believe that there is a strong sense of imbalance between the arts and athletics at Bowling Green High School.

Here is a list of the activities and performances our fine arts students at Bowling Green High School have not been recognized for in the same equivalence as many of the sport athletes and teams:

• Anatomy of Gray  performed at the International Thespian Festival in 2013.
  • Christina Gavarone receiving a superior rating for singing at the State Thespian Conference in 2015.
  • Amy Heider receiving a superior rating for costume design at the State Thespian Conference in 2011.
  • Grace Easterly acting and performing in the All-Ohio State Show in 2011.
  • Michael Heider as Assistant Stage Manager for the All-Ohio State Show in 2015.
  • Dr. JoBeth Gonzalez receiving the Theatre Educator of the Year in 2015.
  • Symphonic Band receiving score of 1 on the OMEA District Competition in 2015.
  • Peter and the Starcatcher as a special full length performance to the State Thespian Conference.
  • Miranda Lentz received the PTO Purchase Award for pen and ink drawing.
  • Micah Smith received the 2-D Purchase Award for colored pencil.
  • Sydney Mason received the 2-D Purchase Award for acrylic.
  • Adam Schroeder received the 3-D Award for clay.

Here are some questions to consider: Is the school more considerate of athletics and not artists? Should there even be a walk for special acknowledgement if it isn’t equally spread throughout the school? Could the acknowledgement be changed so it’s fair for everyone who has excelled in an extracurricular activity of choice? For example, Quiz Bowl went to states this year. Shouldn’t those team members walked the halls to celebrate this accomplishment?

Even though I’m pointing out the missed opportunities to celebrate all of our students, I believe there should not be a “walk” for multiple reasons. It takes time out of class to wait for a student or two to walk around the entire building and clap for about ten seconds. Maybe some students would not necessarily feel comfortable walking in front of the entire school population in a special recognition for just them. Also, not all teachers have their students step into the hallway to applaud for the student(s).

A solution to this could be that over the afternoon announcements they list off the achievements, so the student(s) is still receiving recognition. I believe it is a reasonable understanding and easy adjustment. Then students wouldn’t have to waste extra class time and only have the time taken for the regular morning announcements, which is beneficial to students and teachers. Students wouldn’t have to cut class time and students can still learn. Plus, for those who wouldn’t want to walk around, they don’t have to but are still given recognition.